Kim Il Sung University was founded on October 1, Juche 35 (1946) as the supreme base of training national cadres. It was associated with the achievements of General Kim Jong Il who spent his university days here. Bronze statue of President Kim Il Sung stands on Ryongnam Hill in the campus.
The main building, buildings Nos.1 and 2, a scientific library, a gymnasium, several research institutes, a publishing house, a printing house, the doctorial institute, hostels, a hospital and other service facilities are well arranged.
At first period about 60 lecturers taught about 1,500 students in 7 faculties with 24 courses. Now it has three colleges, over 10 faculties, over 12,000 students, 2,000 lecturers and researchers, 1,000 acade-micians, associate academ-icians, professors and doctors. There are a study room of revolutionary idea of Comrade Kim Il Sung, revolutionary museum of Comrade Kim Il Sung and revolu¬tionary museum of Comrade Kim Jong Il.
The university is the highest institute of training scientists and technicians. Established on September 27, Juche 37 (1948), it has 2 colleges, 10 faculties, research institutes and a doctorial institute. Academic degree owners including academi¬cians, associate academicians, professors, doctors and specialists involve in education and researches.
It is highlighted by newly-built modern e-library. It consists of 15 electronic reading rooms, 12 reading rooms and four reading halls with 200 seats. It has 11.5 million e-books and materials with 2 million volumes.
Readers can access media or pass their cards through card-readers in front of librarian at the electronic reading rooms and be served with information. The library has 12 servers with memory capacity of 21 Tbytes, providing students to be qualified scientists with profound knowledge equivalent to modern scientific trend.
Situated on Nam Hill as a background of Kim Il Sung Square, it serves entire people to study. It was opened in April Juche 71 (1982). It has the largest volume and accommodating capacity in the world.
It has 30 million volumes of books, 23 reading rooms with 6 000 seats, 14 lecture rooms, various information rooms, question and answer rooms and music rooms. Lecture and information rooms are equipped with audio and video recorders, TVs, film and slide projectors and other educational equipment.
As a training centre of musicians, it was established on March I, Juche 38 (1949). It was established as Pyongyang Conservatory on March 1, Juche 38 (1949), renamed as present and rebuilt on the bank of River Taedong.
It was com- pleted in May Juche 96 (2007) with a total floor space of 40 000 sq.m. Kim Won Gyun was a patriotic artiste who composed tens of songs including the immortal revolutionary hymn "Song of General Kim Il Sung" and the national anthem. His bust has been erected at the front yard.
It has five faculties including 24 chairs and 40 courses. Over 800 students study in the professional courses and academic degree owners including professors and doctors as well as dignified actors and actresses teach the students. Buildings, concert halls, individual and general training rooms, a library, a gymnasium and others are all updated for music education.
Mangyongdae Schoolchildren's Palace is one of the after-school education centres for the city schoolchildren situated at Kwangbok Street in Mangyongdae District. It was completed in April Juche 78 (1989). A group bronze sculpture stands in front depicting future heroes in a carriage and pair full of joy. It is divided in several sections of computer, science, art and sports. It has over 200 circle rooms, practice rooms and 2,000-seater theatre equipped with belt stage. Over 10 000 students conduct extra-curricular activities in it.
It selects brilliant students on a nation-wide and gives genius education. It stands in Sinwon-dong, Pothonggang District. Established on September 1, Juche 43 (1954), it has four-year primary course and six-year secondary course with physical and chemical aboratories, computer, music, ;gymnastic and other practice rooms, a swimming pool, a ibrary with 100 000 volumes )f books and other service facilities including baths, a barber's shop, dining rooms Ind a hostel.
It is located at Taedongmun- dong, Central District, Pyongyang. Established in August Juche 34 (1945) as Kyongnim School and renamed several times and later from July Juche 86 (1997) it was named as present. It has been fully arranged' with necessary equipment for education. Preserved here are over 800 pieces of gifts presented by President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il. The statue of the President in his period of Changdok School stands in the campus.
Pyongyang Students and Children's Palace is one of the extracurricular education centres in Pyongyang. Situated on Jangdae Hill, Central District, it was established on September 30, Juche 52 (1963). In front of the palace stands the statue of the President with school-children. It has over 200 circle rooms and practice rooms for science, art and sports as well as a gymnasium, a theatre with 1 100 seats, a library with tens of thousands volumes, an astronomical observatory and an observatory platform on the 10th floor atop the palace. Over 4,000 schoolchildren learn in the palace.